- This event has passed.
Three Cheers for Tiers: Rising to the PARCC Rigor with Cross Content Tiered Academic Vocabulary
March 21 @ 8:30 am - 1:30 pm
Presented by: Pre K-12 Educational School Services at Camden County College
Can you build a brick home without mortar? What will hold the bricks together?
All educators know the importance of vocabulary to comprehending text. Like mortar, vocabulary is the “glue” that enables students to understand what they are reading. Another major shift of the Common Core/New Jersey Student State Standards is Tier II vocabulary found in all content areas. This workshop will focus on Tier II and Tier III academic vocabulary of the standards and how it relates to the PARCC assessment. Emphasis on learning tiered vocabulary, strategies to incorporate vocabulary in all content areas, student self- assessment strategies, and the effectiveness of tiered academic vocabulary as it relates to the PARCC assessment will be addressed in this session.
Specific objectives for this workshop include:
- Understand the fundamentals of Academic Tiered vocabulary in content areas.
- Compare Tier II and Tier II vocabulary for classroom instruction.
- Create a Tier II vocabulary list to embed through all content areas.
- Engage in hands on activities to embed vocabulary words in classroom instruction.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Academic Tiered vocabulary as it relates to the PARCC assessment.
Cost: $149 per person (Registration fee includes a continental breakfast)
Registration: 8:00 to 8:30 a.m.
Presenter: Becky Garofalo
Seating is limited. Professional Learning certificates will be distributed at the end of the session.