Police Academy FAQ’s

How do I become a municipal Police Officer in New Jersey?

Municipal Police Officers in the State of New Jersey are hired by Municipal Police Agencies which are either Title 11A: Civil Service or Title 40A: Non-Civil Service communities. If the jurisdiction in which you reside in is a Title 11A: civil service community you must take a civil service exam. The civil service exam is usually administered once every other year. Those municipal police agencies will hire their applicants from an established civil service list.

For more information you can contact the New Jersey Civil Service Commission or visit their website at: www.state.nj.us/csc for the date of the next civil service examination. If the jurisdiction is a non- civil service Title 40A: municipal police agencies please contact those agencies to see when they will be offering their next hiring examination which is usually established by their approved Chief’s written test examination.

In the State of New Jersey the age requirements are that you must be at least 18 and no more than 35 years of age at the time of your appoint. There are some exceptions to the age requirement for prior military and law enforcement personnel. These questions can be addressed when you apply through the civil service or chief’s examination process.

Is completing the Basic Course for Police Officer or Corrections Officer academy challenging?

The Police Academy which is approved by the New Jersey Police Training Commission is designed specifically for newly appointed police officers and Correction Officers to prepare them for their law enforcement career. It includes several prescribed courses of study that a police officer or correction officer must complete to graduate from the police academy which could be academically challenging to some people.

The police academy has an intensive regimented physical training component that requires recruits to exercise most days of the academy and has a mandatory PTC physical fitness standards test that must be passed by the recruit. During the course of the police academy recruits are exposed to stressful life and death simulated situations that they may encounter during their career which will require quick assessments of situations and sound decision making.

Recruits will take many written and practical examinations to show their proficiency in subjects such as criminal and motor vehicle law, firearms, emergency vehicle operations, first aid, and arrest search and seizure.

How do I become an Alternate Route Recruit (who pays their own way through the police academy)?

In order to qualify for entrance into the Camden County College Police Academy Alternate Route Program, candidates must: Be at least 18 years of age and not over 35 at the completion of the program (for municipal police officers). They must have completed 60 college credits or 2 years of active military service. A copy of your DD214 Form must be supplied as proof of military service. They must be a citizen of the United States. They must be a resident of the State of New Jersey and must be of good moral character and not convicted of any criminal offense. They must be able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently and must be in good health, sound physical condition and able to participate in a rigorous physical training program. They must have a valid, unrestricted New Jersey Driver License and must have medical insurance. A copy of your insurance card is required as proof of coverage.

The criteria used to select candidates for entrance into the Camden County College Police Academy Alternate Route Program are: Pass the Written Test (minimum score of 70%). To continue in the process you must score 80%. Top 30 scores go to PAT. Pass the Physical Ability Test. Must pass all (5) PAT Events. Pass the Oral Interview. Pass a Medical Examination. Pass a Psychological Evaluation. Pass Drug Screening and pass a Background Investigation. Disclaimer: The CCCPA Alternate Route Program written test is the only recognized and accepted written test for the CCCPA Alternate Route Program. Any participation in the Alternate Route Program process will not grantee you acceptance to the Camden county College Police Academy. All candidates must complete all phases of the ARP process and receive a conditional offer to attend the CCCPA.

How do I become a Special Law Enforcement Officer?

Special Law Enforcement Officers are appointed by specific Police Agencies who are hiring for that specific SLEO classification. There are three classifications for special police officers. The classifications shall be based upon the duties to be performed by the special law enforcement officer as follows:

(1) Class One. Officers of this class shall be authorized to perform routine traffic detail, spectator control, and similar duties. If authorized by ordinance or resolution, as appropriate, Class One officers shall have the power to issue summonses for disorderly persons and petty disorderly person offenses, violations of municipal ordinances, and violations of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes. The use of a firearm by an officer of this class shall be strictly prohibited and a Class One officer shall not be assigned any duties which may require the carrying or use of a firearm.

(2) Class Two. Officers of this class shall be authorized to exercise full powers and duties similar to those of a permanent, regularly appointed full-time police officer.  The use of a firearm by an officer of this class may be authorized only after the officer has been fully certified as successfully completing training as prescribed by the commission.

(3) Class Three. Officers of this class shall be authorized to exercise full powers and duties similar to those of a permanent, regularly appointed full-time police officer while providing security at a public or nonpublic school or a county college on the school or college premises during hours when the public or nonpublic school or county college is normally in session or when it is occupied by public or nonpublic school or county college students or their teachers or professors.  While on duty in the jurisdiction of employment, an officer may respond to offenses or emergencies off school or college grounds if they occur in the officer's presence while traveling to a school facility or county college, but an officer shall not otherwise be dispatched or dedicated to any assignment off school or college property.

Are you a veteran and plan on using your VA Education Benefits?

If you are a veteran and plan on using your VA Education Benefits, you will need to:

Submit a Certificate of Eligibility along with the appropriate VA Form 22-1999 (Side A) to the Veteran Services Office in Taft Hall, Room 303 or via email at va@camdencc.edu.

*Be sure to indicate which VA Education Benefit you are using in #17.
If you are an Alternate Route Program (ARP) recruit, please circle “Alternate Route” in #17.

VA Forms 22-1999

To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, you will need to go to the VA website and apply for the benefit at www.va.gov.

Note: If you have used the benefit in the past, you will need to update your Place of Training by completing a 22-1995 or 22-5495 via the VA website, www.va.gov, and clicking on “Change your current education benefits.”

If you would like to participate in the OJT program after graduating from the Police Academy, a representative from the Veteran Services Office can meet with you to discuss the program.

Zaida Nogué
Veteran Services Advisor/SCO
Camden County College, Blackwood, NJ
Taft Hall, Room 303