Motown Benefit, Free Poetry Readings Among Upcoming Culture Events
A quartet of “Poetry in the Park” events and a Motown-themed fundraiser have been planned by the Camden County Cultural and Heritage Commission at Camden County College as part of its December and January schedule.
● 7 p.m. Dec. 10: Poetry in the Park with Lee Ann Irizarry, who is a poet, an actress, the founder of Artsplosion Media and also a Camden County College student. Free. Hopkins House, 250 S. Park Drive, Haddon Township.
● 7 p.m. Dec. 17: Poetry in the Park: A Tribute to Rocky Wilson, a Camden-based poet, writer, dancer, puppeteer and actor known for his portrayal of Walt Whitman who recently survived a brutal attack while bicycling through the city. Free. Hopkins House, 250 S. Park Drive, Haddon Township.
● 7 p.m. Jan. 14: Poetry in the Park with Bernard Collins Jr., who also is a visual and performing artist as well as a painting instructor for the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program. Free. Hopkins House, 250 S. Park Drive, Haddon Township.
● 7 p.m. Jan. 23: “Standing in the Shadows of Motown,” which will include a screening of the 2002 documentary film of the same name focusing on the Funk Brothers and live performance of legendary Motown hits by “Standing in the Shadows of Motown” producer Allan “Dr. Licks” Slutsky on guitar; James Jamerson Jr. on bass; Johnny Ingram on drums and vocals; Timmy Ingram on percussion and vocals; Dave Hartl on keyboard; and Carol Riddick on vocals. General admission tickets to this Commission fundraiser are $10, but Camden County College students with valid identification will be admitted for free. Dennis Flyer Memorial Theatre, Lincoln Hall, Blackwood Campus, Camden County College, College Drive and Peter Cheeseman Road, Gloucester Township.
● 7 p.m. Jan. 28: Poetry in the Park featuring Neal Hall, MD, an area board-certified surgeon/ophthalmologist who won the 2012 Harlem Book Festival Award for his latest book of poetry. Free. Hopkins House, 250 S. Park Drive, Haddon Township.
For further details about any of these events, contact Commission executive director Sandra Turner-Barnes at email@example.com or (856) 227-7200, ext. 4063.
Published: December 04, 2012